John Lenczowski is Founder and President of The Institute of World Politics, an independent, nonprofit, accredited graduate school of national security and international affairs, dedicated to developing leaders with a sound understanding of international realities and the ethical conduct of statecraft — i.e., the use of the various instruments of power in service of national interests and purposes — based on knowledge and appreciation of the American political economy and the Western moral tradition.
The Institute offers three M.A. degrees in its Master’s Degree Program, eight Certificates of Graduate Study, and a Continuing Education Program, all with a professional curriculum covering the various elements of statecraft. This curriculum is based upon an interdisciplinary foundational course of study that includes relevant elements of comparative political culture, Western moral precepts, practical political economics, and political and diplomatic history.
IWP’s institutional objectives are:
- To provide useful education to current and future professionals in the fields of statecraft and national security affairs, especially that which meets official needs of U.S. foreign affairs, defense, intelligence and commercial agencies;
- To deepen understanding of all instruments of statecraft, so that their effective integrated use can defend national interests and minimize the need to use force;
- To emphasize the study of the founding principles of the American political-economic system and their relevance to current statecraft;
- To increase awareness of political realities that may affect U.S. security and world peace;
- To emphasize the importance of the ideas and belief systems that animate different political cultures, their forms of statecraft and their foreign policy purposes;
- To cultivate the spirit of service and civic duty among our students. Through the curriculum, we seek to inspire students to recognize that there are causes higher than oneself, and that service to others and to a cause such as peace with freedom and justice is an honorable and ultimately fulfilling career path;
- To teach our students how to become effective communicators with well-developed writing and rhetorical skills; and
- To teach our students to think strategically – how to think, rather than what to think.
The video below shows John Lenczowski talking about IWP at an open house for prospective students.